“Investigations carelessly handled cost lives” “The interviews were the shop window for the integrity of the investigation” (UK QC)
- Universities have rarely been under such scrutiny as they are in the present climate and it is not inconceivable that a judicial review of the sectors processes for managing the investigation of cases of serious misconduct is around the corner, particularly where those cases might amount to criminal conduct.
- Since the publication of the Pinsent Masons guidance in 2016 we have worked closely with Universities UK and universities to support Case Management that not only meets minimum standards but, in many cases, exceeds it. This is a concept we term Extraordinary Case Management (ECM®). We position the investigative interview (meetings) at the heart of that process.
- It is the ‘interviews’ with stakeholders that make or break these investigations. Facts, detail and accuracy enable the decision-makers to reach reliable findings but what training and competencies have your staff got to conduct such investigations?
- Three years dedicated to investigations in your environment serve to reinforce the complexities you face, not least the dynamics of the complaints, student v student, staff v staff, student v staff and staff v student. When considered in the context of conflicting local policies, advice, and prevailing legislation the challenges you face become very high-risk and toxic.
- Rather than letting disaster drive our business and be reactive we have taken the strategic decision to be proactive in our endeavours to support the sector and those who find themselves involved in potentially life-altering investigations.
Already supporting universities, intelligent about the sectors unique challenges, if you are considering the training of staff or commissioning external investigation support, we’re more than happy to help with pro bono advice based on hundreds of years of combined experience.
See this summary of the headline issues and contact us for further information or support: https://www.intersolglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/UK-Unis-VC-Proposal-FINAL-1.pdf