Following that 38 year career as a detective, during which he led on investigation and interviewing on some of the most complex, sensitive and high profile criminal investigations, Ian is a sought-after consultant, advisor and trainer to large corporates, financial institutions and government agencies around the globe.
Recent high profile cases of misconduct, fraud and criminal behaviour within financial institutions has led to a sharp rise in demand for Ian’s expertise.
Ian has adapted the interview techniques and investigation strategies used within law enforcement to, inter alia, auditors, fraud investigators, human resource specialists, and compliance officers. His combined expertise, years of practitioner experience and training credentials give him unparalleled credibility and effectiveness as a trainer and consultant.
Alongside his operational responsibilities, as a qualified Specialist Investigative Interview Manager and Advisor he was instrumental in designing and delivering the training framework and accreditation process for specialist interviewers. As a result of this success, he has been engaged by a number of international agencies to review and advise on the implementation of interview strategy and competence development, for example working with the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the UK Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Royal Cayman Islands Police (RCIP), and the Australian Police.
Successful review and delivery of innovative investigative interview strategies to the led to the evolution of Intersol Technical Services, a company dedicated to the scientific application and delivery of forensically robust investigative interview skills and solutions. Ian has brought together and co-ordinates a team of renowned multi-disciplinary international experts to support Moody’s Analytics provision of investigative interviewing solutions as part of risk management to the financial industry.
Ian’s most recent key achievements include:
- Practitioner Excellence award for outstanding achievement in 2012, by the International Investigative Interviewing Research Group (iIIRG).
- Commended by the UK Judiciary and Police Command for producing significant improvements in service delivery, performance and savings.
- Awarded a series of Chief Officer commendations for his ‘outstanding team performance’, for ‘partnership working’ and in recognition of ‘outstanding work delivered to the highest standard, with commitment, professionalism, and expertise’.
- Successful worldwide rollout of ‘Effective Audit Conversation Management for Auditors’ training on behalf of Moody’s Analytics and a Global Bank.
- Specialist advisor to operations VIOLA, JUPITER and SEASIDE, which were investigations into Manchester gangland murders, leading to a significant reduction in gangland killings.
- Specialist advisor on operations SPAN, WINDERMERE and EVIAN, which were high profile and successful investigations into child sexual exploitation throughout the U.K, and appointed to the national working group July 2012.
- Supported development and the practical implementation of the Self-Administered Interview (SAI©), a scientifically researched memory reinforcement and retrieval tool based on the cognitive interview which relies on the ‘witness’ to self complete thereby reinforcing, enhancing, and inoculating memory. Used by Law Enforcement, Insurance, and the Regulatory Industry globally, adding value and savings to businesses worldwide.
- Consultant and contributor to the UK’s Stern Review of rape investigation to improve investigation standards and service delivery.
- Led the practice development for the debriefing of cooperating defendants and witness immunity to comply with the Serious and Organised Crime Police Act 2005 and member of national working group determining policy and training.
- Supported design and rollout of ‘The Interview Awareness for Managers Course’ for Greater Manchester Police, adopted and implemented nationally.
- Keynote speaker at “The Investigator” conferences and delivery of training nationally and internationally.
- Peripatetic university lecturer and consultant, accrediting university investigation and interview training.
- Designed bespoke workshops and training packages for Law Enforcement, Regulators, 3rd sector, and charities (see client list)
- Business lead on a project designing and delivering server based digital interview and evidence recording solutions to Greater Manchester Police and advisor to the Home Office Value for Money unit (commended for team-leading and solution delivery).
- Practitioner lead on UK National Working Group researching the interviewing of those with Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
- Consultant to Japan’s National Advisor to the Judiciary on the introduction of ethical investigation, specifically on the audio / visual recording of interviews and used as media spokesperson on national Japanese TV (NHK).
- Consultant and technical advisor to the BBC Open University ‘Eyewitness’ documentary series and more recently the ‘Scott and Bailey’ TV drama series.
Countries: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Caribbean, UAE, Japan, France,
Companies/Agencies: GMP, Special Branch, Regional Crime Squad, National Crime Agency